The Digital world can be fun, entertaining, instructive, informative and wonderful, but also sad, nasty, destructive and dangerous and every other emotion and purpose you can think of.
We all create the content and services – good and bad but most people agree now that the Digital World can be very stressful and many things that people use the most only add to the stress of modern living. E.g. Facebook is not designed to help you but to make money for the owners and deliberately stresses users with constant reminders, notifications and updates that only serve Facebook’s need for you to constantly use the service.
Unclog your digital life by taking simple actions to regain control.
- Your smart phone is your servant not your master. Turn it off at night and whenever you can.
- Set all APPS to no notifications – you don’t need to know the second an email arrives or someone on Facebook likes your page.
- Uninstall /delete any programmes, services and APPS that aren’t genuinely useful to you.
- Cancel all newsletters and anything similar that clogs up your email.
- Unsubscribe from everything online you’re subscribed to unless you really cannot do without it.
- Talk to real people – don’t avoid them by using text messages instead.
- Make time to eat properly, not on the move rushing from one place to the next and no screens to look at while eating.
- Make time to unwind before sleep and get a decent 7-9 hours sleep every night (phone turned off)
- If you’re an avid game player – limit the time you spend on the games and never just before bedtime.
- Practice mindfulness (with or without an APP)
Let me know your thoughts on the Digital World and the stress it puts us under and how we could learn to better manage it.