The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) is the central agency in Canada that collects information and criminal intelligence on mass marketing fraud (e.g. telemarketing), advance fee fraud, Internet fraud, identification theft complaints and similar matters.
The website is www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca and contains information on frauds, advice on how to protect yourself against fraud and how to report scams.
In Canada, there has recently been :
- A marked increase in the amount of mail with too-good-to-be-true offers
- Frequent calls offering get-rich-quick schemes or valuable awards
- Numerous calls for donations to fake charities
- Many people finding their banking records show cheques or withdrawals made to unknown companies
CAFC advice that if you suspect that someone you know has fallen prey to a deceptive telemarketer, don’t criticize them for being naïve. Encourage that person to share their concerns with you about unsolicited calls or any new business or charitable dealings. Assure them that it is not rude to hang up on suspicious calls. Keep in mind that criminal telemarketers are relentless in hounding people – some victims report receiving 5 or more calls a day, wearing down their resistance.
The Vision of the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre
- Be innovative in its efforts to disrupt frauds and scams through coordination with its partners.
- Be an international Centre of Excellence providing the most comprehensive data available in Canada with regard to fraud related resource material, scam types, statistics, trends, and demographics, as well as the size, scope and impact of fraud.
- Work closely and cooperatively with its numerous partners in a combined effort to proactively identify emerging scams, trends, threats, and criminal organizations operating in Canada across multiple jurisdictions.
- Provide the highest possible quality service through technology in partnership with law enforcement, government agencies at the municipal, provincial and federal levels, and the private sector.
- Provide valuable, timely and compassionate assistance to victims of fraud.
Stay safe online.
If you have any experiences with scammers, spammers or time-waster do let me know, by email.