The government says Cyber Essentials helps your business to guard against the most common cyber threats and demonstrate your commitment to cyber security
Self-Help for Cyber Essentials
The guide explains how to:
- Secure your Internet connection
- Secure your devices and software
- Control access to your data and services
- Protect from viruses and other malware
- Keep your devices and software up to date
The Three levels of Engagement
Not everyone has the time or resources needed to develop a full-on cyber security system. So Cyber Essentials has been designed to fit with whatever level of commitment you are able to sustain. There are three levels of engagement:
- The simplest is to familiarise yourself with cyber security terminology, gaining enough knowledge to begin securing your IT.
- Basic Cyber Essentials certification.
- Cyber Essentials Plus certification.
1. Self Help
The self-assessment option gives you protection against a wide variety of the most common cyber attacks. This is important because vulnerability to simple attacks can mark you out as target for more in-depth unwanted attention from cyber criminals and others.
2. Certified Cyber Security
Cyber Essentials Certificate £300 approx. (+VAT)
Certification gives you peace of mind that your defences will protect against the vast majority of common cyber attacks simply because these attacks are looking for targets which do not have the Cyber Essentials technical controls in place.
In the process of obtaining Cyber Essentials Certification is simple, you can opt to buy as much or as little help as you need from the company you choose to certify you.
Cyber Essentials shows you how to address those basics and prevent the most common attacks.
- Reassure customers that you are working to secure your IT against cyber attack
- Attract new business with the promise you have cyber security measures in place
- You have a clear picture of your organisation’s cyber security level
- Some Government contracts require Cyber Essentials certification
3. Cyber Essentials Plus Certificate
The cost for this is only available on application.
It has all the benefits of Cyber Essentials PLUS your cyber security is verified by independent experts.
Cyber attacks come in many shapes and sizes, but the vast majority are very basic in nature, carried out by relatively unskilled individuals. They’re the digital equivalent of a thief trying your front door to see if it’s unlocked. The advice is designed to prevent these attacks.
Cyber Essentials Plus still has the Cyber Essentials trademark simplicity of approach, and the protections you need to put in place are the same, but this time the verification of your cyber security is carried out independently by your Certification Body.
The more rigorous nature of the certification may mean you need to buy additional support from your Certification Body.
Cyber Essentials and Government Contracts
If you would like to bid for central government contracts which involve handling sensitive and personal information or the provision of certain technical products and services, you will require Cyber Essentials Certification.