People buy and sell social media accounts – for a variety of reasons and you might think this is illegal, but it isn’t. Some consider such accounts to be assets, and some go the trouble of creating and beefing up social media accounts in order to maximise the sale price.
This is definitely sketchy behaviour and immoral in many cases, but not illegal.
This largely relates to Facebook accounts but there is a market for new accounts with all of the social media networks.
Some Reasons Why People Buy Social Media Accounts
- Advertising and Marketing companies. Facebook can impose restrictions or ban dodgy advertising. Hence, these companies can use a lot of accounts to run advertising campaigns on multiple accounts simultaneously and when accounts are limited or stopped by Facebook, they switch to other accounts.
- Social media accounts traders and retailers. There are people and companies that make it their business to buy and sell accounts.
- Anonymous users. Some users want to hide their identity perhaps due to unpleasant experiences online or perhaps for nastier reasons.
- IT companies may need multiple accounts to test their tools and APPS.
- Spammers filling the Internet with garbage no-one wants to read.
- Scammers sending out their illegal messages to cheat people.
- Fake news purveyors.
- Conspiracy theorists.
Facebook accounts have higher prices if they are old. The older the account, the higher the price. Some accounts on Facebook can even cost several hundred dollars.
Buying these used accounts is not illegal but it does violate Facebook’s policy and terms and conditions. If you buy or sell you may be penalised by Facebook.
- A basic Facebook account with some details may cost a few dollars.
- A more detailed Facebook account that has been verified may cost more like $10
- An established Facebook account with followers and posts may cost more especially if registered as an American user.
The more subscribers an account has then the more valuable it can be.
Do not buy or sell any social media accounts. Whatever you want them for – there are probably better ways to get and use such accounts.
If you have any experiences with these scams do let me know, by email.