BT Call Protect is BT’s new free service to help their users block out the scam callers, cold callers and other undesirables.
Nuisance calls take many forms – they can be malicious calls, unsolicited sales propositions, scams or simply someone dialling the wrong number.
Getting nuisance calls at home can be intrusive, may disturb your home life and, when they happen repeatedly, can be upsetting.
For BT home phone customers, BT Call Protect is free and works in three ways:
- BT blacklist: Numbers identified as nuisance callers by BT’s experts are added to a BT blacklist and sent automatically to your junk voicemail.
- Personal blacklist: If you get an unwanted call you can add the number to your Personal blacklist. All future calls from that number will be sent to your junk voicemail.
- Individual call types: Send calls from specific categories (such as withheld or international) straight to your junk voicemail.
- BT Call Protect is easy to set up
All new and existing BT customers can opt in at bt.com/callprotect. Once it’s set up you can manage your settings and add phone numbers to your personal blacklist by going online to bt.com/btcallprotect or by calling 1572 from your home phone (no charge) at any time.
- You control who calls your phone
If you get an unwanted call hang up, dial 1572 and follow the simple instructions to add the last number to your personal blacklist. All future calls from that number will be sent to your junk voicemail.
You can also choose to send international, withheld and unrecognised numbers to your junk voicemail further reducing the amount of unwanted calls received.
- BT’s Expert knowledge
BT has a team of experts based in Oswestry who identify nuisance calls and create the BT blacklist. Numbers on this blacklist will be sent directly to your junk voicemail. The team is continually updating the list with new unwanted numbers, so you can be sure it’s up to date. The blacklist also includes the phone numbers of scammers detected by the BT Security team.
The list is continually being updated and new numbers added, helping to reduce the number of nuisance calls.
Alternatives to BT Call Protect
There are various products on the market that can block unknown callers etc. The most well known is truCall but Gigaset and Panasonic also make home phones with call blocking features.
Do enter your email address and click on the subscribe button on top right to keep up to date with new posts.